Bronchitis and covid 19 both are respiratory diseases and have somewhat similar symptoms. Therefore, it is difficult to differentiate if you have coronavirus or Bronchitis. So how do you know between Bronchitis and COVID-19 Differentiation? Read till last and get full details.
The issue begins when the airways in the lungs (known as the bronchial pipes) become infected or swollen. It makes it difficult for air to move in and out of the tubes. But, you need not worry because of Bronchitis, as it is completely treatable if the correct diagnosis is done.
Some of the common causes of bronchitis are; bacteria, viruses, irritants, and smoking.
There are two types of bronchitis –
- Acute bronchitis (normally lasts for a few weeks) –
- Chronic Bronchitis –
1 – Acute bronchitis
Some of the symptoms include:-
- Sore throat
- and wheezing, etc.
2 – Chronic Bronchitis-
Chronic Bronchitis is slightly more severe than acute bronchitis. It is suggestive of other lung concerns, such as COPD. And the main symptoms are cough and breathing problems (that last for months or even years).
One important thing to remember is that bronchitis is curable with the right diagnosis and treatment.
Covid 19 is a respiratory infection that affects the nose, throat, airways, or lungs.
COVID-19 is very contagious and spreads from person to person.
How does it spread?
- The coronavirus can travel through the air in respiratory droplets from a sneeze or cough and then into the lungs.
- The virus can survive on surfaces, such as phones, door handles, or countertops.
- If you touch something that has the virus on it, it can pass from your hands to your mouth, nose, or eyes.
- It can also spread through direct contact (such as by shaking hands)
The disease can take a more dangerous form in aged people and patients with high blood pressure, heart problems, and diabetes. Apart from this, the virus is more easily affected by people already suffering from any disease or people who have low immunity.
Bronchitis v/s COVID-19 | COVID-19 and Bronchitis Differentiation
Anything that causes inflammation of the bronchi (tubes that carry air from the trachea to the lungs). Bronchitis starts with a common cold and is caused by the same virus that causes flu. And on the other hand, Covid is caused by the virus Sars Cov 2. Only a professional doctor can tell you that you have covid or bronchitis. Do not use any medicine and do anything without seeking a doctor’s advice.
Causes symptoms and treatment of covid and bronchitis
- Smell lose
- Ache and pain
- Coughing (with mucus)
- Runny nose
- Low-grade fever
- Sore throat
- Chest discomfort
- Block nose and sinuses.
- Precaution from bronchitis
- Do not come in contact with anyone who has cold or acute bronchitis as there is a risk of infection.
- Bronchitis is caused by a virus or bacteria therefore, if someone sneezes or coughs, the disease can spread to others.
- Cigarette smoke is harmful to our health so do not smoke cigarettes or tobacco. And If someone you know is smoking cigarettes then stay away from them.
- Before going out, wear a mask or cover your mouth and nose with a cloth, especially if you are in contact with pollution, paint, or cleaning products.
- Keep an air moistening device near you.
- At times, you may also need to have a chest X-ray, sputum, or lung tests to rule out bronchitis.
According to Asthma Specialist Dr. Sheetu Singh, drinking water dilutes the mucus present in the lungs. Moreover, Mullein tea also provides relief in this condition.
Apart from that, do regular exercise to keep your lungs healthy.
For some patients, doctors also recommend inhalers and oxygen therapy.
Dr Sheetu Singh is a well-experienced asthma specialist. And she ensures that the best treatment is given to her patients. You can visit her if you are facing any of the symptoms, and get your treatment done.