Coughing is a common disease all year round, but respiratory diseases increase during winter. The virus does not change with the season nor does the seasonal variation make it more contagious. But, the survival of the virus increases with the drop in temperature, i.e., the virus remains in the environment for a longer time. Also, winters are the season of extreme dryness. This dryness affects our respiratory passage too making the hold of the virus in the tract thus making us ill and cause winter cough. Coughing is a response of our immune system to expel something out of the respiratory tract which is any alien antigen or pathogen or allergen and has gained entry inside from the nasal passage.
Winter Cough Cause
Dr.Sheetu Singh suggest that, our nasal passage has different barriers such as hair, and mucus which prevent the entry of substances to protect our lungs from the pathogens present in the outside environment. Other than viral infection, coughing can also be cause by cold air and fluctuations in temperature. Thus, colder months experience more cases of cough than usual. Infections like these cause congestion in the respiratory passage due to the accumulation of mucus or phlegm. Cold and dry air irritates our throat and produces responses such as coughing. Coughing is a mechanism to reverse this feeling of an irritated throat.
Winter Cough Treatment:
Winter cough can be wet or dry depending upon the production of mucus. A productive or wet cough produces more amount of mucus. Medications depend upon the type of cough. Decongestants and cough suppressants are advise to get rid of coughing. If these medicines fail to work, other possible causes could contribute to chronic coughing hence medications specific to the problems are prescrib. Visit the best chest specialist for further assistance and apt medication.
Winter Cough Remedies:
Several home remedies are proven effective for controlling cough and irritated throat. Given below are a few of them.
- Warm liquids such as soup, and tea help to keep us hydrate and provide relief to our irritate throats that are inflame or scratch because of coughing.
- Honey has anti-inflammatory properties hence is recommended for cough and cold.
- Gargles with salt water soothes your throat and promote the healing of tissues.
- Other herbs that have inflammatory properties such as turmeric, garlic, ginger, thyme etc are advised for proper healing of the inflamed cells and tissues of the throat and tract.
- Drinking plenty of fluids keeps our body hydrated and keeps our throat moist which prevents coughing.
- Inhaling moist air i.e., steam from the hot water helps to moisturize dry and inflamed tissues of the throat.
You don’t have to take winter cough lightly. During winter, if you suffer from cough for more than 1 or 2 weeks, consult a lungs expert in Jaipur immediately. Extreme cough can be caused pnemonia. And whoever is an asthma patient should take extra care of himself in winters. Asthma patients face more problems due to dryness. Read this article also if you have asthma symptoms – Asthma Treatment